What are we here for?
Ellis Mediation is here to help everyone, whether a business, charity or an individual, to resolve a dispute without having to go to court.
What matters to us when we work with you?
We want both parties to reach a settlement which is in the best interests of both parties. We aim to act with professional courtesy at all times, and always to listen more than we speak, as the only way that we learn about you and your dispute is by listening.
We offer commercial, consumer, community and workplace mediation. Apologies but we do not offer family mediation.
Please follow the link at the very end of this page to see feedback from clients.
What is mediation and why is it better than going to court?
The basics of mediation are the same across all categories of mediation; a mediator is an independent person who works with two or more parties to help them resolve a dispute, without using legal processes involving courts.
We offer a free consultation so we can listen to your problem and discuss explain how mediation can help you avoid long and costly legal process, including going to court.
The advantages of mediation are;
- Cost – mediation is a much cheaper option compared to using solicitors or going to court. A mediation for a dispute value of £50,000 will cost each party £420, whereas using solicitors and going to court could cost you £10,000 or more.
- Speed – mediations can be completed in a few weeks from the first enquiry, compared to a wait of up to twelve months just to get to court.
- Confidentiality – the whole mediation process is entirely confidential, so no-one else will know anything about the details of the case. If it goes to court, the details become public knowledge.
- Control – the parties are in control, not the mediator, compared to going to court where solicitors have a habit of taking control from clients.
- Without prejudice – mediation is a safe space where the parties can talk openly with no concerns about the mediation discussions being referred to if the case ends up in court.
Martin Ellis is the Managing Director of Ellis Mediation.
He is a Chartered Accountant who moved into commercial, community and workplace mediation when he qualified as a mediator after training with the Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution (CEDR). Martin is a Civil Mediation Council (CMC) Registered Mediator, as well as being a member of the Society of Mediators. He is also the Chair of Trustees of the College of Mediators.
Ellis Mediation is also working with Rated People
What we can do for you…
Commercial mediation is where two business have a dispute about a commercial transaction.
This is where a consumer has a dispute with a trader, maybe a builder, plumber or garden landscaper?
This is where there is a dispute in the community, maybe between neighbours, involving noisy children, aggressive pets or other anti-social issues.
This is where there is a dispute between two people who work for the same organisation, which is not easily resolved by traditional HR processes and procedures.
Remote and face to face meetings available for all mediations
It is assumed that most mediations will be done remotely online. Face to face mediations can be arranged at the same cost. Travelling distances of 20 miles each way or less will not be charged, but over 20 miles each way will be charged at £60 per hour or part therof.